There are a total of 12 thoracic vertebra. All of them articulate with rib. Their characteristics include:
- The body is usually taller than they are wide.
- The body has four demifacets on each side known as Superior and Inferior costal facets for articulating with the head of rib, except for T1, T10-T12.
- Spinous process is long and point inferiorly.
- Vertebral foramen is circular.
- Transverse process contain a Transverse costal facet for ariculating with the tubercle of rib, except for T11-T12.
- Articular facets face posteriorly and anteriorly.